Annikah's Journey

Annikah Madisen had cranial surgery on October 2nd, 2006 at Kansas City Children's Medical Center. The surgery corrected a condition known as craniosynostosis.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Notes from Mommy...



Pam writes:
I have been so blessed to be able to spend all of this week with Annikah, in the hospital and now at home. She has been so calm and even happy, and we know that is another evidence of God's presence with us!

We have had many questions from people about Annikah's recovery time, so here are some details...

She has numerous disolvable stitches across the top of her head. We have been instructed to clean and medicate the incision three times a day for 2 weeks. At that point we will have a post-op visit with the surgeon to determine her progress.



Annikah also has a helmet, which is evident in the pictures. She is supposed to wear this when playing or active for the next three months. That is a long time for Mommy! But who am I to complain when God has been so gracious so far!

Something that I learned anew while we were in the hospital is that God allows our times of crisis to be a conecting point with other people. I had the opportunity to share God's grace with 2 other families who were experiencing crisis this week as well. We talked together about fear and uncertainty, but I was able to testify of God's faithfulness.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 says, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."

Another thing that I learned is how easy it is to miss the opportunity to praise God out loud for His work. People kept coming to Annikah's room and commenting on how good she looked. The doctors and nurses kept saying, "Normally she would have more swelling and bruising. She looks amazing!" It was easy to say, "I know! I am amazed as well!" Then, in my heart I knew that God was calling us to give Him the praise for everything. Praise in my heart is not enough. The world must hear my words of praise.

Annikah's recovery, calmness in the hospital, everything, is a direct result of God's presence. We cannot miss the opportunity to praise Him for what He has done!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear how well Annikah is doing! God is truely amazing.. He has blessed you all with three beautiful children whom I love to death and them with AMAZING parents that care so deeply for them... I am so glad to hear that everything was a success and cant wait to see Annikah ( hopefully soon)

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
It has been great to read how God has continued to be faithful to y'all during this difficult time. He is so amazing! It is evident that during this time you have been able to experience His love for you in unbelievable ways. My continued prayer is that He will continue to use this time in your lives to mold you into everything that He wants for you. And the pictures--they are great. Pam, I know that I don't see it all the time, but the helmet is awesome! All I have to say is watch out Tony Hawk. Here comes Annikah Tooley!

pASTOR pETE, Danielle, and Kids

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam and Joel,

God is GOOD! It has indeed been a blessing to see how God has moved in your lives. Your words of grace and love have been a witness to the love of Christ and to how He wants us to lean on Him, no matter what we are going through. We love and miss seeing you guys, but rest assured you have been and will be in our prayers. May the Lord continue to bless and keep you as you keep His light before the world.

Barry & Krystal

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joel and Pam and Nic and Allison...We are all so thrilled that Annikah is doing so well. What an amazing little lady! I feel very humbled by God's hand in all this. I cannot begin to imagine how stressful this is for all of you, especially the older two children! What a beautiful feeling of love and support I get through this page from your family....you are really spreading God's word and light to the whole world. The Aussie Tooley's are all praying for you (I am keeping the technologically challenged informed!!) and wishing beautiful Annikah a speedy recovery. Love and prayers are with you all... Christine Tooley-Adams

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Annikah is doing so well!! I prayed so much and so were many people on campus that dont even know her!! I will continue to pray that God will continue to help Annikah to have a quick recovery!! Also for the family that yall would continue to see the opportunites to share what has happened with others!! Love yall...and Joel see you soon!!

2:03 PM  
Blogger LisaM said...

I had a "Pam" moment today... "How I wish I could talk with Pam right now..." Then when I read your blog I was really blessed to hear your heart; it was definately the presence of Christ in your life speaking so loudly. The strength that you all have shown through this is so, so uplifting.

Blessings on you ... and until we get that chat. ;-)

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home